Top 10 Things I Took For Granted Before I was A Mom!
- A clean floor…or house in general! When you are picking up the toys for the 15th time this morning…Stop and remember what it was like before you were tripping over the legos, baby dolls, stuffed animals, etc… Then remember all the smiles and laughs you witness when those toys are being thrown around.
- Sleeping in…Ok, so truth is I never really slept in but the option was nice!!! But all those up and early mornings and late nights redeem themselves as soon as those little arms wrap themselves around you and say good morning mama!
- Clean clothes (or self in general)…Those days when you were able to walk out of the house in clean clothes and have them stay that way! But I wear my spit-up stained, snot covered outfits with pride! Only a mom can have limited edition toddler designed outfits! And who knows, maybe someone will one day discover that peanut butter and jelly has anti-aging properties and you have a head start on your beauty care routine by not noticing that your covered with the stuff.
- Audience-free bathroom breaks…It doesn’t matter where they are or what they are up to…As soon as you sit down on the white thrown of glory they are right there to witness! Even more, they have used the last smidgen of toilet paper on their last visit and left you hanging to drip dry. Ok, I can’t think of a positive to counter act that! haha Just another perk to the title I guess.
- An un-interrupted phone call…again all is quiet and calm until your on the phone and then you are transported to the middle of a tropical rain forest once the ring a ding ding is heard. Monkeys are swinging from the ceiling, tigers are leaping from the couches, birds are squawking from the dining room. But really those little guys are much more entertaining and interesting then most of the people (or elevator music) on the other end of the line! To soon they grow up and all will return to quiet and you’ll be begging for that tropical adventure.
- Tiger strip free belly…Speaking of tigers reminded me that I now look like one! haha Pre-baby body is long long gone! But I wear my stripes with honor. So many are denied the privileged of having a tiny life growing inside of them. I am thankful that I was able to experience those kicks, hiccups, pushes and rib jabs.
- Having a plate of food without some chewed up and spit out mystery on it…It never fails that you sit down and your child eats something that they don’t like. they turn to you with this look of disgust and out it comes the mystery food onto your plate. On the flip side…you can’t get a better diet plan then that! Once you see the yucky mess your appetite seems to disappear.
- Grown up TV…If your are like me you can sing every theme song to every kids show past or present. Not sure how many times I catch myself humming “I’m the map. I’m the map, I’m the map, I’m the MAP” But I guess I can count it as “Continuing Education”! Just think how much science, spanish, art appreciation, music lessons, etc.. would cost if you took them as adult education classes!
- Snack time…more specifically chocolate! I know I’m not the only mom who has a secret stash of her favorite chocolate or other treat. You wait until they are off doing something (anything) else and you quietly sneak into it trying to unwrap it with out them hearing the crunch and crinkle of the wrapper. But then you fail and they come running and you quickly shove the entire thing in your mouth. When they ask what you have you mumble “nothing” as you drool it all down the front of you.
- Alone time/Quiet time…time to cuddle up with a good book, watch a chick-flick movie, take a hot bath, anything for a little peace! To soon the pitter patter of little feet will disappear. The days of peek-a-boo, hide-and-seek, silly dance off’s, funny face competitions, & finger painting will be gone. All that will be left are the memories of the “good’ole days” when you were covered in kids and all that goes with them. Then, and only then, will you appreciate all the duties (good & bad) that come from being a Mom! I am so thankful that God chose me to watch over these three little precious lives. I love them with all of myself. I know that only through His grace and strength can we make it through each day. I am so incredibly and indescribably blessed. I can’t think of any other name that I’d rather have then MOM! I have the privileged to watch these three little ladies grow and develop into women after God’s own heart.. May he guide me each step of the way!
Happy Mother’s Day to all of you out there with that same name! May God bless you as he has blessed me!